Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation with a mission to promote private sector accountability for economic crime and related human rights violations in Southern Africa.
Job Vacancy at Open Secrets South Africa: Head of Legal Unit. The Open Secrets South Africa invites applicants to apply for Head of Legal Unit Vacancy in Cape Town.
Open Secrets is a non-profit organisation with a mission to promote private sector accountability for economic crime and related human rights violations in Southern Africa. Through research, advocacy, and litigation around the harmful and often unlawful activities of corporations and other private actors who have historically acted with impunity, we work to promote the right to truth and contribute towards social justice. We aim to complement and support important work currently undertaken by partner organisations and social movements in civil society.
Contract Period: Starting September/October 2021 for an initial one-year contract period (prospects for renewal).
- Lead and work with a small team of lawyers in using the law, including litigation, to hold corporations, individuals and state institutions implicated in economic crimes to account.
- Provide guidance and support within the legal unit.
- Develop, implement and monitor the priorities and projects of the legal unit.
- Work closely with our investigations team in developing legal strategies to build accountability for economic crime and contribute to our advocacy efforts.
- Liaison with counsel.
- Collaboration is key, and we expect you to work closely with our civil society partners.
- Strong work ethic, attention to detail, exemplary integrity and a commitment to social justice.
- A committed team player with an inquisitive mind who values collaboration and has an aversion to office politics. If you want to challenge and change the way the world works, you’ll fit right in.
- At least five years’ work experience as an admitted attorney with a demonstratable history of managing other people, preferably in the public interest law sector.
- Has the ability to see a matter through from building a case to judgment.
- A passion for learning, and sharing skills and knowledge.
- Resourceful and able to think creatively.
- Strong research and writing (English) skills and command of basic Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Historically disadvantaged applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Eligible to work in South Africa.
This is envisaged as a full-time position based at Community House in Salt River, Cape Town. The Open Secrets team is working a mix of in-office and remotely for the foreseeable future.
- Submit a covering letter, resume, copy of relevant qualifications, a recent unedited writing sample, and contact details of at least three referees, by 5pm on Monday 9 August 2021 (deadline extended).
- The subject line of your e-mail should clearly state the position you are applying for.
- Please send your application to: [email protected]
- Applications via other social platforms will not be considered.
- Kindly note that applications missing any of the required information will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application process.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application – NGO Pulse Portal
Are you an advocate for social justice, accountability and transparency?
Are you keen to work with a small team of researchers and civil society activists?