Website South African National Space Agency (SANSA)
Bringing the benefit of space investment to citizens
South African National Space Agency (SANSA) invites Suitable Applicants to apply for Bursary Programme for 2021/2022 Academic Year.
About South African National Space Agency (SANSA)
The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) came into being in December 2010, but South Africa’s involvement with space research and activities started many decades earlier with helping early international space efforts in the second half of the 20th century, and observing the Earth’s magnetic field at stations around Southern Africa. SANSA was created to promote the use of space and strengthen cooperation in space-related activities while fostering research in space science, advancing scientific engineering through developing human capital, and supporting industrial development in space technologies. The research and work carried out at SANSA focuses on space science, engineering and technology that can promote development, build human capital and provide important national services. Much of this work involves monitoring the Earth and our surrounding environment, and using the collected data to ensure that navigation, communication technology and weather forecasting services function as intended.
South Africa needs an increase in science and engineering graduates if we are to effectively resource the country with necessary and scarce skills to achieve goals of the National Development Plan and ensure a successful and sustainable future for our citizens. SANSA provides post graduate degree bursaries to contribute to the national target for qualified post-graduates in science and engineering.
Scope of our projects:
Space Science (Hons, MSc, MPhil, PhD)
- Solar physics and space weather forecasting
- Antarctic radar studies of atmospheric gravity waves
- Multi-instrument studies of space weather
- Modelling geomagnetically induced currents in power systems
- Multi scale ionospheric physics, structure and dynamics
- Ionospheric and radio propagation modelling
- Theory of waves and solutions in plasmas
- Atmospheric radiation studies
- Verification of space weather forecasting
Earth Observation (Hons, MSc, PhD)
- Remote sensing
- Geospatial programming
- Earth system science with remote sensing
- Earth observations in ecosystems accounting
- Applications of remote sensing in environmental management including oceans and marine, agriculture and rangelands, water resource management, mineral resource and spatial planning
Engineering (MEng, MTech, MSc, PHD, DTech)
- Software and software systems engineering
- Aeronautical, aerospace, mechanical, electrical, electronic, mechatronic and computer engineering
- Space, systems, antenna and RF engineering
All SANSA divisions (Hons, MSc, PhD)
- Computer Science
- Information systems
- Software and systems engineering
- Data science
- Field of your choice related to key SANSA objectives
Please visit our research portal https://research.sansa.org.za/ for further information.
The main criteria used in the selection of successful applicants are financial need, academic potential and career-oriented study programmes.
Please note the following:
- An application will only be considered if it has been completed properly and in full.
- Documents that accompany the application form must be uploaded and certified.
- Testimonial form must be completed by the supervisor and uploaded to the application form.
For the 2022 academic year successful applicants will receive bursaries with values as stated below:
- Hons – R90 000 (one year).
- Masters – R100 000 per year for two years.
- PhD – R130 000 per year for three years.
Applicants may not hold a combination of bursaries that exceed these amounts. Should an applicant have another bursary of lessor amount, SANSA will consider providing a top-up amount to the student provided the student meets the criteria mentioned above.
Support for continuing years is not guaranteed and will depend on satisfactory progress during the previous year.
The completed application must be submitted no later than 30 September 2021 if you want to be considered for a bursary for 2022.
To apply for this job please visit www.sansa.org.za.