Website University of Johannesburg
The University of Johannesburg is a public university located in Johannesburg, South Africa. The University of Johannesburg came into existence on 1 January 2005 as the result of a merger between the Rand Afrikaans University, the Technikon Witwatersrand and the Soweto and East Rand campuses of Vista University.
The University Of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa, which is dynamically shaping the future. In realising this vision, UJ embraces innovation and the collaborative pursuit of knowledge and strives towards global excellence and stature (GES). The embodiment of core values, such as independent thinking, meaningful engagement and sustainable development with a foundation deeply rooted in consistency and transparency, make the University an international institution of choice for GES.
Through relevant processes of Senate and other groups at the University, UJ Council has supported a major catalytic initiative for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). The Initiative, envisioned by the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Prof Tshilidzi Marwala, is to “position UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution within the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
UJ invites suitably qualified individuals to apply for the position of Manager: Social Media and Marketing Projects to roll out, in support of the Senior Manager: Marketing and Brand Management, the multi-channel marketing projects for UJ in line with strategy and manage and monitor the university’s official social media accounts to grow and protect the university’s brand.
The quest for 4IR impacts all domains of the university. For this position, it is expected that social media and related promotion channels will therefore leverage 4IR techniques. For example, a data-driven approach to customise messaging for different market segments.
- In consultation with brand, marketing and communication, develop a social media strategy across UJ social media channels that aligns with the UJ strategic indicators and brand marketing objectives of the university.
- Manage the implementation of this content strategy across all social media channels, including Facebook, Google, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Manage daily contingency and crisis communications for social media according to the crisis communication strategy to protect the UJ brand. At times social media or related communication occurs over public holidays – some messaging can be pre-programmed and scheduled, but availability is required for messaging aligned to both the pros and cons of social media.
- Ensure that all social media communication adheres to the social media policy, brand policy and marketing look and feel across all platforms.
- Identify potential reputation-damaging conversations and respond accordingly.
- Serve as a spokesperson on key corporate issues in the social media. Identify other spokespeople as needed.
- Aligned to international trends of digital marketing, maintain and update the social media policy as per governance stipulations, and ensure compliance with the policy across the institution.
- Build positive relationships with internal stakeholders, e.g. academic domains and divisional marketers, marketing and brand management, strategic communications and UJ leadership, to develop an editorial calendar that grows strategy-aligned engagement across all social channels.
- Leveraging existing 4IR tools, including artificial intelligence tools, develop a reach that carries the UJ messaging in an exponential way.
- Provide training, including using 4IR techniques, to academic domains and divisions across UJ to ensure alignment with social media strategic objectives and preparedness for proactive or reactive social media engagement.
- Innovatively manage the social media team and functions on a day-to-day basis, ensuring social media support of all UJ strategic initiatives.
- Ensure comprehensive social media monthly reporting and performance metrics to inform activities.
- Stay abreast of all technical and content developments and advances in the social media world to bring fresh ideas and innovative developments.
- Oversee select marketing projects as per annual planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree/ B. Tech or any relevant qualification (NQF 7), preferably in Marketing, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing Communication or equivalent.
- At least Five (5) years working experience in a marketing, communication and/or public relations environment.
- Minimum of Three (3) years of specific social media experience with proven social media monitoring and report writing and analysis skills and experience.
- At least Two (2) years’ experience in team management
- The candidate will need a valid driver’s licence and will be required to work outside of office hours, including public holidays, as and when necessary.
Competencies and Behavioural Attributes:
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Must be self-motivated and be able to complete job assignments without direct supervision
- Strong relationship-building and consulting skills;
- Analytical thinking
- Be able to effectively liaise with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong organisational and leadership skills.
- Effective leadership and people management
- Relevant marketing experience at a Higher Education Institution
- Given that social media will engage an international audience, excellent command of the English language
- Communication messaging, in multiple South African languages, will be an advantage
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
- Proven skills in time management and project management
- Highly developed problem solving skills
- The ability to perform well under pressure
Please note that the following contact details are for enquiries about JOB CONTENT and NOT for application purposes.
Enquiries regarding job content: Ms Lesmarie Bentley – Steyn (011)559-6660
WARNING TO APPLICANTS: UJ does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UJ, you may submit a report through the UJ’s Ethics hotline, operated by KPMG, by dialling 0800 204 975 toll-free from any Telkom landline. For more information please visit https://www.uj.ac.za/Pages/Ethics.aspxIn conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
If you have a criminal record or there are any criminal proceedings pending against you, or if you are aware of any other information that may impact on the University of Johannesburg offering you a job, you are strongly encouraged to make the necessary disclosures during the interview. Please be aware that failure to do so could have serious consequences, including the possibility of termination of service if you are appointed and the information subsequently comes to the attention of the University of Johannesburg.