Vodacom Group Limited (Vodacom) is an African mobile communications company providing voice, messaging, data and converged services to over 65.2 million customers. From its roots in South Africa, Vodacom has grown its operations to include networks in Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mozambique, and Lesotho and provides business services to customers in over 40 African countries.
Vodacom is a Leading African Mobile communication company providing wider range of communication services including mobile voice, messaging, data and converged services to over 73.6 million customers. From our roots in South Africa, we have grown our mobile network business to include operations in Tanzania, DRC, Mozambique and Lesotho. The mobile networks cover a total population of approximately 200 million people. Through Vodacom Business Africa (VBA) we also offer business managed services to enterprises in over 40 countries across the continent. Vodafone is the majority shareholder of Vodacom and has a 65% share.
We’re at our best when we lead and over the past 25 years, as the Company that pioneered mobile in South Africa, Vodacom has achieved a remarkable list of firsts. We’re immensely proud to be a leader in our field and are 100% committed to continue trailblazing.
We employ individuals who are as passionate about customers as we are. We are truly Customer Obsessed which means that we are passionate about exceeding customer expectations; work relentlessly to really understand the customer; look at decisions through the customer’s eyes and take personal accountability for the customer experience.
We have the below vacancy available in our Organisation:
The Senior Specialist: Data Engineer position is based within the Technology Business Unit.
The role of the Senior Specialist: Data Engineer is to deliver through self and others to load the necessary data from local and group sources onto the shared platform that are necessary for analysis and for commercial actions. Building applications that make use of large volumes of data and generate outputs that allow commercial actions that generate incremental value. Support local markets and group functions in obtaining benefiting business value from the operational data.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Design and develop highly performant and stable applications that processes large volumes of data in a Hadoop environment
- Build batch and real-time processing applications that ingests source data from the operational systems and output insights back to business systems
- Integrated applications with business systems to enable value from analytic models to drive rapid decision making
- Work with the architecture team to evolve the Big Data capabilities (reusable assets/patterns)
- Participate and contribute in defining technology components to be used on the Big Data
- Investigating new technologies and methods to improve delivery and sustainability of applications and services
Core Competencies, Knowledge And Experience
- Expert level experience in designing, building and managing applications to process large amounts of data in a big data ecosystem
- Extensive experience with performance tuning applications on Hadoop and configuring Hadoop systems to maximise performance
- Experience building systems to perform real-time data processing using Spark Streaming or Kafka/Confluent or similar technologies
- Experience with managing the development life-cycle for agile software development projects
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- Matric / Grade 12 essential
- 3-year Degree / diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field essential
- 5+ years developer/ programming experience
- Working experience with using/programming python and/or Java, Spark, Hive, Kafka or similar pub/sub technologies, noSQL databases like Cassandra, MongoDB and ElasticSearch.
- DevOPS and test automation experience would be an advantages
- Some data science experience would be advantage (including working knowledge of H2O, Tensorflow, Spark ML, etc)
The base location for this role is The Towers, Cape Town
The Company’s approved Employment Equity Plan and Targets will be considered as part of the recruitment process. As an Equal Opportunities employer, we actively encourage and welcome people with various disabilities to apply.