NACOSA is a networking organisation that brings communities together to tackle HIV and its impact on key and vulnerable populations. We do this through mobilizing our network of over 2,000 organisations, promoting dialogue between government and affected people, building capacity through accredited training, mentoring and technical assistance and channeling resources to support service delivery on the ground, particularly for children and youth, key populations and women and girls.
South Africa has the highest number of people living with HIV in the world – over 7 million people. To turn the tide on HIV and AIDS, it is essential to involve all sectors of society and to strengthen community systems to respond to local challenges. NACOSA is a networking organisation that brings communities together to tackle HIV and its impact on key and vulnerable populations. We do this through mobilizing our network of over 2,000 organisations, promoting dialogue between government and affected people, building capacity through accredited training, mentoring and technical assistance and channeling resources to support service delivery on the ground, particularly for children and youth, key populations and women and girls.
The Executive Director role:
The Executive Director is tasked to ensure the achievement of NACOSA’s strategic objectives, through leading the organization, establishing and nurturing partnerships and leveraging funding that enables NACOSA to implement innovative programmes that support Government policies and services.
The key performance areas and responsibilities of the role are:
Strategic & Operational Planning
- Provide overall strategic direction and leadership for NACOSA and exemplify the organisation’s vision, mission, values and objectives.
- Develop a Strategic Plan and budgets for NACOSA.
- Ensure efficient and effective governance of NACOSA, including the development of organisational policies and procedures that are understood by all staff and reviewed regularly.
- Ensure that the NACOSA Board of Directors have the necessary, timely information for effective governance and compliance.
- Develop and maintain a risk management culture in the organisation.
Administration & Financial management
- Work with the CFO to ensure sound financial management in NACOSA including predictable funding flows, proper financial controls and procedures.
- Approve expenditure according to budgets, and negotiate changes to budgets with the finance sub-committee and funders when necessary.
- Ensure that the appropriate budgets and reports are prepared for meetings with funders.
- Ensure that the office is administered efficiently and that all administrative systems, including correspondence and information systems, are functioning smoothly.
- Ensure compliance with statutory and contractual obligations.
Management of operations
- Ensure the development of annual operational plans and budgets for all programmes and effective implementation structures for the delivery of planned programmes.
- Develop and maintain efficient and effective internal systems, including appropriate organisational and programme performance monitoring systems, reporting and record keeping systems.
- Facilitate regular Management meetings for effective and efficient operational coordination.
- Ensure timely production of NACOSA’s annual report and appropriate newsletters, reports etc., and that the necessary databases are properly maintained.
Human resource management
- Lead the strategy to build and sustain a skilled, motivated team to reach the objectives of the organisation.
- Work with the HR Manager to facilitate the effective and professional management of staff in the organisation.
- Lead and direct the HR functions within the organisation to ensure the implementation of sound HR Practices, including Remuneration System, Recruitment, Performance Review Processes, Training and Development
- Drive and support NACOSA’s transformation strategy in order to create a diverse and well-functioning workforce
Networking and Lobbying
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key stakeholders and organisations working in complementary fields
- Represent and promote NACOSA at high level meetings and forums
- Position NACOSA as a thought leader in the HIV and TB sectors
- Ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the organisation through effective organisational fundraising and management of donor relationships.
- Co-ordinate and oversee all fundraising activities, including the development of funding proposals, negotiations with donors, reporting to donors.
Required qualifications, skills and experience:
Applicants must be seasoned strategic senior manager with the ability to lead a team in effectively managing large complex multi-stakeholder programmes.
- Advanced degree in Social Science/Public Health, or Business Management.
- At least 15 years’ experience at executive and operational management level in the NGO/NPC sector
- Must be eligible to serve as a director in terms Section 69 of the Companies Act 71 of 2008
- A strong understanding of technical developments in the HIV, AIDS and TB fields, including experience in partnering with government and an understanding of government protocols and knowledge of the overall political landscape in South Africa.
- Combination of strong grant management, human resource, monitoring, evaluation and report writing, financial and project management skills.
- Knowledge and Skills in financial management, fundraising and strategic oversight of budgets.
- Knowledge of big donor processes and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated networking and engagement skills with strategic partners across the board
- Advanced Computer skills, specifically in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, programme databases.
- Read, write, and speak in two official South African languages, of which one must be English.
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Driver’s license and own vehicle
- Willingness to travel
- Attributes such as resilience, tenacity, creativity are highly desirable.
- The ability to think strategically and analytically.
- Good communication and inter-personal skills on all levels demonstrating sensitivity, respect, honesty and fairness in interactions.
- Proven ability to work as a team member within multi-disciplinary teams and excellent networking and liaison skills.
- Visit https://nacosa.jb.skillsmapafrica.com/ to register, load your CV and motivational letter.
CLOSING DATE: 24h00 on 7 February 2021
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. NACOSA reserves the right not to make any appointment in this position.
- NACOSA respects the privacy of its stakeholders and will treat all personal information provided in line with our recruitment policy and in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act.
NETWORKING HIV & AIDS COMMUNITY OF SOUTHERN AFRICA – NACOSA
Head Office: 3rd Floor, East Tower | Century Boulevard | Century City | Cape Town
t. 021 552 0804 | f. 021 552 7742 | e. [email protected]
NPO 190-030 | PBO 930056308 | NPC 2015/448924/08
VAT Number: 484 024 0990 | Section 18A Tax Exempt
Accredited by the Health & Welfare SETA | Level 1 B-BBEE Entity
To apply for this job please visit nacosa.jb.skillsmapafrica.com.