SECTION27 is a catalyst for social justice and a public interest law centre that uses the law to protect, promote and advance human rights.
Job Opportunity at SECTION27, Education Rights Attorney. SECTION27 invites applicants to apply for Education Rights Attorney Job Vacancy.
SECTION27 is a catalyst for social justice and a public interest law centre that uses the law to protect, promote and advance human rights. We work to achieve substantive equality and advance the constitutionally entrenched rights to: health care services, sufficient food, water and social security as set out in section 27 of the Constitution; and basic education as set out in section 29 of the Constitution. We do this through the use of law, public education, research and social mobilisation.
- Attorney (with admission in the High Court) with at least 5 years’ post-admission experience.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in High Court litigation.
- Experience and knowledge of education law and policy will be advantageous .
- Knowledge of human rights and public interest law will be advantageous.
- Project management skills, including planning and report writing skills.
- Communication, interpersonal and listening skills.
- Writing, analytical and time management skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in (or working towards learning) one or more indigenous South African languages is highly desirable.
- Driver’s licence is essential.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure.
- Extremely organised and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Willingness to travel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Investigate the merits of possible cases and conduct necessary research to support interventions.
- Work with community organisers, activists, and partners to collect data and relevant materials for cases.
- Consult with clients.
- Brief and consult with counsel.
- Draft legal papers.
- Monitor progress of cases.
- Drafting legal submissions and opinions.
- Conduct research and analysis.
- Keep abreast of legal developments that are relevant to the work of SECTION27.
- Publish articles and opinion pieces.
- Build and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders and clients.
- Engage with government and private actors.
- Liaising with media.
- Participate in team activities. This includes team meetings as well as bi-monthly staff meetings.
- Organisational reviews and planning as well as other meetings that relate to the work of SECTION27.
- Teaching, training and public education including presentations at conferences.
- Advocacy activities including assisting with public mobilisation.
Please forward your curriculum vitae accompanied by a motivation as to why you are interested in and suitable for the position to [email protected] Late applications will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.