Website Amandla Development
Amandla Development works to empower South African youth with equal access to quality education opportunities. We do this by building capacity in effective grassroots organizations working in education, in order to maximize their impact.
Job Opportunity at Amandla Development, Sustainability Officer. Amandla Development invites applicants to apply For Sustainability Officer Job Vacancy.
Amandla Development works to empower South African youth with equal access to quality education opportunities. We do this by building capacity in effective grassroots organizations working in education, in order to maximize their impact. To bring cohesion to efforts to improve education, Amandla Development is establishing an intermediary layer that can coordinate collective impact, a cross-sector approach to tackling both the social ills that prevent young people from learning and the improvement of schools that learners attend.
The successful candidate will be a full-time appointment whose work is central to the sustainability of the organization, accomplished by 1) developing Amandla’s external communications to our various donor and potential donor audiences, 2) cultivating new and existing donor relationships both within and outside South Africa, and 3) supporting the executive director’s fundraising both with individuals and institutional donors. There will also be significant time devoted to developing and communicating Amandla’s work in the Philippi community.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of similar work with similar organisations, and will work closely with the Executive Director and management team to create systems and strategies for raising Amandla’s profile in South Africa and overseas. It will be vital to get to know Amandla’s work quickly and be able to confidently communicate to external audiences. The role requires an understanding of how communications and fundraising work together. Key results areas will include:
- Supporting the Executive Director and US Fundraising board in donor stewardship and engagement
- Cultivating donor relationships
- Developing our social media through content creation (including visual media such as photography and film), community management as part of a broader communications and fundraising strategy,
- Prospect research (i.e., researching appropriately aligned foundations and other sources of funding)
- Cultivating donor relationships
- Supporting proposal development
- Developing written and online communications for multiple audiences (understanding our various audiences and their needs is essential)
- Developing multimedia and social media content
- Training staff and beneficiaries in social media best practices and developing multimedia content
- Supporting individual donor stewardship and engagement
- Institutional and individual donor prospect research
- Develop campaign (e.g., annual Giving Tuesday campaign) infrastructure
- Bi-monthly board meetings
- Minimum two years in a similar role, either full-time or consulting
- Proven track record of building donor relationships
- Demonstrated experience with social media and online communications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, with isiXhosa considered a big plus
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong research skills
- Township experience will be highly-valued
- Understanding of and interest in youth development and education
- Ability to be innovative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Extremely positive and proactive
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage shifting deadlines
- Eagerness to learn more about development and fundraising IS essential
To apply, submit 1) a CV (maximum two pages), 2) a brief motivational letter, 3) your most recent salary and salary expectations for the role to [email protected] quoting “Sustainability” in the subject line.
NB: Ensure that your cover letter explains your interest in Amandla’s approach and outlines how your track record makes you well-suited to this position.
Applications without required information will not be considered.