Website IEC (Electoral Commission of South Africa)
The Electoral Commission of South Africa is South Africa's election management body, an independent organisation established under chapter nine of the Constitution.
Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) invites applicants to apply for Communications and Research Internship Programme 2022 in Western Cape.
The Electoral Commission of South Africa is South Africa’s election management body, an independent organisation established under chapter nine of the Constitution. It conducts elections to the National Assembly, provincial legislatures and municipal councils. Part of the Electoral Commission’s strategic objectives are to implement and promote effective electoral processes that will facilitate the participation of political parties and candidates in the management and delivery of free and fair elections. My department enables that facilitation.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for appointment to the Internship programme of the Electoral Commission, a state institution established in terms of Chapter 9 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa. It is the Commission’s intention to promote equity. PERSONS MUST NOT HAVE BEEN AN INTERN OR WORKED BEFORE IN THE FIELD OF THEIR SPECIFIC STUDY. Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you’re looking to start your communications career in a pre-eminent election management body, then this might just be the role for you! Were currently looking for an intern to join our winning Outreach team.
Key performance areas: A 24-month internship program designed to provide recently qualified graduates with a unique opportunity to gain valuable skills in a supportive environment, learning on-the-job and work experience.
Training will be provided for and assistance needed with the following:
- Conceptualisation and development of the provincial Communication strategy and plans.
- Drafting of proposals.
- Promotion of democracy education and understanding, as well as advocating and enhancing the brand of the Electoral Commission.
- Co-coordination of communication plans, both internal and external.
- Maintaining liaison with all major communications stakeholders including the print and electronic media.
- Promote the publicity plans of the province.
- Promotion of internal publication tools and monitoring progress in the communications area.
- Research in electoral processes, situational conditions across the municipalities in the province.
- Analysis of organisational data that relates to various aspects of internal operations including past elections.
- Conducting comparative research of electoral processes.
As part of the provincial team, assist with other initiatives in the province, including Electoral Operations and Civic & Democracy Education.
Assist with the following general administrative duties
- Minute taking, report writing, preparing presentations, routine enquiries.
- Compile, distribute documents/packages to stakeholders, and such tasks as is required by supervisor.
- Maintaining the filing system for the office.
- Maintaining incoming and outgoing correspondence of the component and coordinate meetings.
- Diploma or Degree from an accredited tertiary institution in one of these fields: Communications/ Public Relations/ Media Studies.
- It is preferred for the candidate to be in possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate effectively (in writing and verbally).
- Computer literate, familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Willing to learn to work with new software and applications.
- Ability to use research tools will be an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must have the following attributes
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team under supervision.
- Time management.
- Confident in engaging with other role-players.
- Dedication to the tasks at hand and willingness to work long hours when needed.
- Service driven.
- Willingness to work with youth.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Organisational and problem-solving skills.
Applications must be accompanied by a recent, updated comprehensive curriculum vitae as well as certified copies of all qualification documents and identity documents. Failure to attach the requested documents will result in the application not being considered.
The Electoral Commission will only correspond with short-listed candidates and interviews will be conducted on a date and time specified by the Interview panel.
The Electoral Commission is under no obligation to fill the position after advertising it and reserves the right not to make any appointment in the above post. Although advertised, a position may be withdrawn, re-advertised or filled by way of transfer or deployment, should it be considered in the interest of service delivery.
Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NB! Applicants must be 35 years of age or below and must not have been an intern or worked in their field of study before to qualify for this programme. Applicants will be subjected to a risk assessment.
“Applicants who have not been contacted by 30 June 2022 must consider their applications as not being successful”.
To apply for this job please visit www.elections.org.za.