Website Howick High School
Howick High, located in the picturesque KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, in the village of Howick, just 20 minutes from Pietermaritzburg, is an English medium, co-educational High School.
Howick High School invites Suitable Applicants to apply for Internship Programme for 2022 in Howick, Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Howick High, located in the picturesque KwaZulu-Natal Midlands, in the village of Howick, just 20 minutes from Pietermaritzburg, is an English medium, co-educational High School. Our tranquil, park-like campus overlooks MidMar dam and includes a 3-wing, 3 storey classroom building, a Team-Teaching Room with presentation facilities, a School Hall, Administration Office, IT Centre and Media Centre. Our outdoor sport facilities include a swimming pool, tennis and squash courts, hockey fields, rugby fields, soccer fields, netball courts, cricket fields & nets, an undercover sports training venue as well as a temporary astro surface. Midmar House, our weekly boarding establishment, accommodates up to 100 boys and girls in separate sections. Built in the 1980’s, the Dave Mayo Centre is a much used utility venue, used for sports hospitality, school functions, examinations, school reunions and fundraising events. Established in 1967, Howick High School has grown from 150 learners to 540 learners. We have four streamed classes per Grade from Grade 8 to 12. Our Grade 12 learners write the National Senior Certificate examinations and achieve a 100% pass rate as a norm, with a bachelor’s pass of between 80% and 95%. Howick High School is a fee paying school and our School Governing Body is a member of FEDSAS, the Federation of Governing Bodies of South African Schools, enabling them to stay informed of the transformation and changes within the Education field.
Competencies and Skills required:
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Teaching Internship: currently studying a Bachelor of Education degree, or another degree with the aim of studying a PGCE, with a desire to make a career of teaching and a commitment to ongoing professional development. Experience in coaching sport would be an advantage. Registration with SALE will be required during the year, if not already obtained.
- Sports Internship: currently studying a BSc Sports Science or Human Movement Science or a PGCE or related degree with recognized coaching qualifications and experience in coaching school sport. An understanding of the integration of sports programs in the school environment will be advantageous.
- Computer literate with strong administration skills
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Honesty, thoroughness, integrity and good initiative
- Self-motivation with a strong sense of responsibility and discipline
- A clear criminal clearance certificate
- A valid driver’s license. A willingness to hold a Public Driving Permit (PDP) would be advantageous.
- If required, a willingness to assume duties at the hostel and reside on the premises would be a recommendation.
How to apply
A concise CV, with at least 3 contactable references, and proof of studies can be emailed to [email protected] for the attention of the Principal, Mrs L. Farquharson.