Becoming a Fulbrighter means joining a diverse network of passionate and accomplished students, scholars, and professionals across the globe. There are many opportunities to stay involved as program alumni, including incorporating the Fulbright network into your professional communities, participating in Fulbright alumni associations, networking with other Fulbrighters, and recruiting new applicants for the program.
Fulbright Bursary Programme 2021. Fulbright invites applicants to apply for Bursary Programme 2021.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Programme is currently offering scholarship grants to South African students who wish to pursue their Master’s or PhD degree in the US. The programme is available to:
- South African students taking up their PhD qualification. Successful candidates may conduct up to 9 months of research (non-degree) at a university in the US as a Visiting Student Researcher, or VSR
- Postgraduate students pursuing their Master’s or Doctorate qualification may apply for a scholarship, renewable each year for a period of no more than 2 (two) years
- Travel and transportation allowance from South Africa to the designated US destination
- Settling-in allowance
- Monthly maintenance costs (covers living expenses)
- Tuition and other fees
- Computer and book allowance
- Sponsorship for J-1 visa
- A South African citizen, or holds a permanent residency status for at least 5 years; SA nationals holding dual citizenship from the US are not eligible
- Non-degree or VSR applicants need to be registered in a PhD study in a South African university
- Master’s degree applicants must have completed a four-year bachelor’s or B Tech degree, or three-year degree with honours years
- PhD applicants must hold a master’s degree
- Preferably first time to receive a Fulbright grant
- Applicants with limited to no experience coming to the US preferred
- Must possess a doctoral qualification or equivalent terminal/professional degree in their field.
- Applicants with solid university teaching experience/productive scholarly record will have an advantage
- English proficiency to carry through the project and maybe tested by Fulbright offices as needed
- In good health and must be able to submit a medical history and the examination report
- Previous applicants are welcome to re-apply; be sure to revise application and acquire current reference letters.
How to apply
Eligible applicants will need register their profile and fill out an online application form using the link below. All support documents must be submitted via the online application system. In addition to the required documents, be sure to include the following:
- A polished research proposal with clear methodology a general review committee can understand
- Three confidential reference letters to be uploaded by the referees themselves via the online application system
- Letter of invitation from host institution in the US is highly encouraged but not a requirement
Click the link below to access the profile registration page and application form.
For information not covered by this advert, send an email to: