Website eThekwini Municipality
The province of KwaZulu-Natal has 11 districts, with eThekwini being the provinces biggest city. It is a popular center for tourists with its extensive beaches, warm subtropical climate, gorges and ravines. The Category A municipality is home to over 3.5 million people.
eThekwini Municipality Bursary Programme 2021. eThekwini Municipality Bursary Programme 2021. The eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality, created in the year 2000 in KwaZulu-Natal, is a metropolitan municipality which incorporates Durban city and its surrounding towns. The Municipality was established from 7 previously independent local councils and tribal land.
Fields of study:
eThekwini Municipality will be awarding bursaries for studies in these specific fields (undergraduate only):
- Chemical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Civil Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Electrical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current) (BSc or BEng)
- Electronic Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Property Development (BSc)
- Environmental Science (BSc)
- Conservation Biology (BSc)
- Ecology (BSc)
- Computer Science (BSc)
Coverage, Value & Selection:
The eThekwini Municipality bursary will provide cover for tuition fees, accommodation, meal allowance/ stipend, prescribed book allowance and a computer allowance.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted – if you have not received any feedback within 10 weeks of the application deadline, regard your application as unsuccessful.
Bursary recipients will be required to enter into a contract with the municipality, for the equal number of years as the duration of funding received.
- South African citizen
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Strong academic record
- Studying or accepted to study full time in one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Studying or intend on studying at a recognized public tertiary institution in South Africa
- Students with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Preference will be given to eThekwini residents
- Preference will be given to students who have passed the 1st year of study
- Preference will be given to students who are eThekwini residents, have been previously disadvantaged (in terms of disability, race and gender)
How to apply
Applications must be done online here: eThekwini Municipality Bursary application, (Reference Number: ETH210129-10)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Matric latest results, if currently in Matric/ awaiting Matric certificate (certified copy)
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Full academic record, if currently studying at tertiary level (on tertiary letterhead)
- Proof of acceptance to study at a South African public university (on tertiary letterhead)
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the eThekwini Municipality directly: Contact people: Lihle Sishi / Mndeni Gumede, Tel: 031 311 3192 / 031 311 3183 or Email: [email protected].